Thursday, September 4, 2014

Ireland

We have moved on to Ireland--first to Dublin, and then away to the outer edges where green hills meet the gray sea. Everything is beautiful here, both in and out of the city. The fuzzy sheep dotting the fields, the meandering stone walls blooming from the mossy earth, the colorful front doors standing out bright in the rain. 

We've had pretty great weather so far, and were able to explore Dublin and its many many many pubs for a bit before meeting up with my parents and heading west.




We went to the American football Penn State game being played in Dublin, and I actually didn't hate it. I realized later that it is actually the first time I have really watched a football game all the way through. I only had to go a few thousand miles to do it. 

We actually went to the game with a woman we met at Subash's naturalization ceremony. He was assigned a seat next to her and they got talking and found out she was from Ireland. We mentioned we were going and found out she would be there at the same time. We made plans then, way back in May, to meet in a pub in Dublin. A few months later, we did just that.




We've been drinking a huge amount of beer. Not necessarily even to excess, it just seems to go along with every meal or social event, and I swear there is a pub every 3 feet.

Now we are hanging out with my parents at a rented house in Dingle, where everything looks like a postcard.









So far we've been driving around the scenery, climbing around the rocks, staring out the window, and eating delicious food. Subash and I have taken up scrabble, left behind in the rented house.




I have another post in mind about Ireland that I will write next, but I wanted to at least do an update! In a weird way this has almost been like a vacation from our trip, which is probably the most spoiled sentence anyone has ever written.

For now, though, I am off to the little town nearby! It is about as quaint as you can imagine, with colorful shops and an ocean view. More soon, my friends!

















2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine (a native of Dingle) told me once there are 52 pubs in the town - one for every week if the year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day, we will all go back there together. And there will be beer. Lots and lots of beer.

    Miss you so much seeeeeester! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete